It would be a mistake to update your house’s interior while leaving drafty, ugly, and non-functioning windows in place. Are you contemplating a home remodel? Start by having new windows professionally installed. Here’s how to pick the perfect windows.
How to Pick New Windows for Your HomeWe know how hard it is to pick new flooring, cabinets and hardware, paint color for the walls, and new lighting fixtures. While you might be tempted to go with the cheapest windows, we encourage you to research window options and select the best products for your space. Here are some window-picking tips.
Think about the reasons you need new windows.Consider some of the reasons you need new windows. Maybe you need to replace the window in your nursery because neighborhood noises always seem to wake your baby. Your bathroom window may be problematic because you cannot let in natural light because of privacy issues. You might be looking for replacement windows because the window industry has come a long way since your windows were installed – 20 years ago.
Learn about windows and energy efficiency.Not all windows are the same. Consider these tips from the U.S. Department of Energy when selecting new windows for your room.
- Look for the Energy Star and The National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC) labels.
- In cold climates, consider selecting gas-filled windows with low-e coatings to reduce heat loss during the winter. Also, look for glass with a lower U-factor for better thermal resistance.
- In warm climates, select windows with coatings to reduce heat gain. Also, look for a low solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC). (SHGC is a measure of solar radiation admitted through a window.)
- Select windows with low U-factors and low SHGCs to maximize energy savings in climates with both cold and hot seasons. (When looking at U-Factors and SHGCs, consider the numbers given to the whole window – instead of just the center of the glass.)
Consider choosing the type of window that best serves the space.Home remodels are great because completing projects allows you to correct mistakes in your home. For example, are you unable to open the window above your kitchen sink because it’s challenging to reach? Then consider a casement window. Do you long for more natural light? Install a picture window – or windows on either side of your front door – to lighten the space. Add interesting architectural details to the room by installing bay or bow windows. New windows can make a massive difference in the look and feel of your home!
Use a home improvement company with an excellent reputation for installing quality windows and doors.Homefix Custom Remodeling has been serving homeowners since 1990. We offer a wide range of products, from low-cost replacement window options to high-end models with all the upgrades. Learn how to save money on energy bills by installing double or triple-paned windows with ultra-tight seals to boost your home’s energy efficiency. And our customer service and support can’t be beat. Check out our business reviews! We are proud of them! When it’s time to complete a window replacement project as a part of a larger home remodel, fill out this contact page on our website. We will create a custom quote unique to your project. (Check out all of the services we offer! You can save money in the long run by using Homefix for your doors and siding too.)
Key Takeaways: Choosing the Right Windows for Your Home Remodel
- Consider the problems you are having with your current windows.
- Learn how to improve your home’s energy efficiency by upgrading your windows.
- Improve the functionality of your windows and the beauty of your room.
- Choose a window company with an excellent reputation for quality products and installation.