Before you do a window replacement project, it’s important to learn more about the types of replacement windows. After all, you can fill in a window opening in your home with several different styles.
Here’s a quick guide to help you pick new windows for your home.
Types of Replacement Windows
Here are the pros and cons of various popular window styles in modern homes.
Double Hung Windows
The bottom window panel is moved up and over the stationary upper sash to open single-hung windows. A double-hung window looks similar to this type of sliding window. However, both the lower sash and the upper sash can move.
- Pros: Double-hung windows usually tilt out for easy cleaning and maintenance.
- Cons: Since both sashes of a double-hung window open, there is an increased chance of air leaks. Be selective when choosing a company for professional installation.
Casement windows can be cranked open and out from the side of the house.
- Pros: Casement windows are often used above the kitchen sink or any other hard-to-reach area. Casement windows offer excellent ventilation and energy efficiency.
- Cons: Casement windows may be more costly than double-hung windows.
Sliding windows operate as the name implies. They are an excellent option for horizontal openings.
- Pros: Sliding windows are easy to operate and don’t protrude from the house. They offer excellent ventilation.
- Cons: The sliding track can collect dirt, ice, and snow.
Awning windows open by being pushed outward from the bottom of the window frame.
- Pros: Awning windows work great in areas with a lot of rain. They allow ventilation while keeping water from entering the room. They are often used with a picture window to allow ventilation inside the room and offer clear views of the outside.
- Cons: Awning windows protrude from the outside of the house, so they aren’t great for high-traffic areas. They also can’t be used as an escape route during an emergency.
Bay Windows (and Bow Windows)
Bay and bow windows are created by combining three or more windows to angle out beyond the wall of the house.
- Pros: Installing a bay or bow window can dramatically change the look of a room. Both options let in more natural light into a space.
- Cons: A bow or bay window can be expensive to install.
Picture windows are large windows that do not open – although they can be paired with smaller operating windows.
- Pros: Picture windows offer unobstructed views and increased energy efficiency.
- Cons: Unless you purchase a quality window with a low e coating, a large picture window can increase the temperature inside the house in hot climates. Learn about heat transfer and controlling cooling costs before purchasing a large picture window in a warmer climate.
There are ways to add natural light to a home while protecting your privacy. Some choose glass block windows in a bathroom. You may also consider adding skylight windows.
- Pros: Skylights add natural light and enable the homeowner to enjoy sky views. Some skylights can open.
- Cons: There are typically construction considerations when installing skylights. However, if you already have one, the company you hire to install replacement windows should be able to handle the job.
Are you looking for a specific type of replacement window that’s not on our list? Homefix Custom Remodeling will find the right window style for your existing window frame. Tell us your goals, and we will find the right product for you.
Homefix Custom Remodeling provides home renovation in Washington D.C., Florida, North Carolina, Maryland, and Virginia. Fill out the contact form on our website, and a local team member will reach out to you to answer any questions you have about replacing windows.
Types of Windows for Your Window Replacement Project: Key Takeaways
- There are pros and cons to each type of window.
- Consider your goals before you complete a window replacement project.
- Do you want to increase efficiency? Let in more natural light? Purchase a window that is easier to operate and clean? Improve privacy? Change the look of your room? The window style you select can make a big difference!